Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: marlowe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Subject: no jsp files will compile
>>
>> I have java 1.5 installed and tomcat5.5 on a Ubuntu machine.
>
> Is this a real Tomcat (i.e., one downloaded from tomcat.apache.org), or is
> it a 3rd-party repackaged version?  There are no end of problems with the
> repackaged junk.

I installed it from ubuntu apt-get.

>> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
>> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/work/Catalina/localhost/marlowe/org/apache/
>> jsp/index_jsp.java
>
> Is there a permissions problem here?  It looks like the .java file
> generated from the .jsp could not be read (or perhaps it was never
> written).  Is the userid you're running Tomcat under the same one that it
> was installed with?

Yeah, I was thinking it was some sort of permissions thing, but my webapp
has the same permissions as the example webapps, which is root.  I will have
to look at all the permissions again to make sure.  tomcat will server other
pages though so it seems to have permissions to the directory.  For
instance, html pages.

> Do the JSP examples that come with Tomcat work properly?

Yes, the examples that come with it work.  Also, if I copy my jsp file to
one of these directories it runs fine.