I did these steps -

1. Renamed admin-web to ROOT.
2. made sure to delete existing ROOT folder that comes bundled with tomcat.
3. Added context.xml to webapps/ROOT/META-INF with contents being
<Context>
</Context>

4. This is the error on restarting

INFO: Marking servlet action as unavailable
Dec 1, 2008 2:53:50 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: Error loading WebappClassLoader
  delegate: false
..
..
..

SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.psi.servlet.Log4jInitializerServlet
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1387)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1233)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1094)