> [...]
> Ok, then another probably silly suggestion, but you might as
> well upturn this stone too.
> Apart from the directories you named as already compared,
> have you compared the /usr/share/tomcat5.5 ?
> That is where the Debian distributions usually install the
> base of the Tomcat 5.5 software (CATALINA_HOME).
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5 is CATALINA_BASE (where this Tomcat
> instance actually runs).

I don't have access to the machine that has the problem right now,
but I looked at the other machine (the one that works), and I strongly
suspect you discovered my problem. There is a link in
/usr/share/tomcat5.5/common/lib pointing to the postgres JDBC jar
in /usr/share/java, and I think I put that link there back then, but forgot
to write this down, so didn't do this on the second machine.
I will try this tonight and will report back, but I'm very confident
that this is the cause of the problem.

> As many lights on this list never tire to point out, packages
> for specific OS'es put things a bit all over the place, with
> soft links in even more places, which makes it difficult
> sometimes to figure out where things really are and what
> points to what.  The Debian Tomcat packager seems to have
> even more imagination than most.
>
> You could of course remove the Debian package, and install a "real"
> Tomcat from the Tomcat site.  You would then probably get
> more help from this list (for reasons I do not discuss nor
> contradict).  The inconvenient is that you would lose the
> facilities of the Debian package manager for configuration,
> updating, resolving dependencies etc..

I would much prefer to use the Debian package if possible, for
the reasons you cited. However, I'm aware that using a "standard"
installation has advantages, too.

Anyways, you just helped me understand my Tomcat installation
a little bit better, so thanks a lot!

Regards
Stefan
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger