> From: Michal Singer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: tomcat gets stuck after a load for streams writing
>
> i configured the maxThreads on the executor and didn't help.

It should have let you get to 400 request processors, rather than the default
of 200 that you were seeing.

> i also checked the thread dumps.

And where do they show the threads are?  If you can force the hang with any
number of threads, then set maxThreads to a low value, and see where they are
executing when the stall occurs; things will be easier to figure out when
there's less to look at.

> i still don't understand why it would cause
> a completey unrecovable tomcat stuck.

If all the possible threads are already working on requests, no more requests
will be honored.  You could also be out of data base connections (assuming you
are using one), resulting in all threads waiting until a connection becomes
available.  If you webapp fails to return connections to the pool in *all*
circumstances, eventually you'll hang.

> What also is weird is that it gets stuck only for stream
> writing. this does not seem like a problem in our server.
> why can i still send string messages?

I don't know what you mean by "stream writing" vs "string messages".  If these
are actions performed by the client you're using to test Tomcat with, it's
irrelevant how the requests are constructed on the client end - it's all HTTP
by the time it comes over the wire.  If one of the mechanisms is passing in bad
headers, that's a different matter.  An improperly terminated chunked request
could tie up a thread for quite some time.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.