From: Michal Singer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: tomcat gets stuck after a load for streams writing

i configured the maxThreads on the executor and didn't help.
It should have let you get to 400 request processors, rather than the
default of 200 that you were seeing.

i also checked the thread dumps.
And where do they show the threads are?  If you can force the hang with
any number of threads, then set maxThreads to a low value, and see where
they are executing when the stall occurs; things will be easier to figure
out when there's less to look at.

i still don't understand why it would cause
a completey unrecovable tomcat stuck.
If all the possible threads are already working on requests, no more
requests will be honored.  You could also be out of data base connections
(assuming you are using one), resulting in all threads waiting until a
connection becomes available.  If you webapp fails to return connections
to the pool in *all* circumstances, eventually you'll hang.

What also is weird is that it gets stuck only for stream
writing. this does not seem like a problem in our server.
why can i still send string messages?
I don't know what you mean by "stream writing" vs "string messages".  If
these are actions performed by the client you're using to test Tomcat
with, it's irrelevant how the requests are constructed on the client end -
it's all HTTP by the time it comes over the wire.  If one of the
mechanisms is passing in bad headers, that's a different matter.  An
improperly terminated chunked request could tie up a thread for quite some
time.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.