After two months with a system running smoothly, we are currently
experiencing the same problems again (albeit less often).

A little update:
- The system's memory has been upgraded to 16 GB, Tomcat's memory settings
are Xms4096m and Xmx10240m now.
- We are using commons-dbcp 1.2.2 instead of Tomcat's internal pooling
mechanism, so with org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory as data
source factory
- Java version is Sun JDK 1.5.0.15 now. We are still at IIS 6.0, JK 1.2.26,
Tomcat 5.5.20 and APR 1.1.14.
- We have no automatic Tomcat reboots
- Currently this 503 hang happens about once or twice a week

Attached you will find a part of the isapi_redirector.log of today (the
whole morning 503 errors occurred).
I also tried to create a thread dump using StackTrace while Tomcat was
hanging, but it didn't really work. The other JVM's were able to produce a
thread dump, and since all JVM's are part of the same group of services, I
have included this thread dump.

Any idea, anyone?

http://www.nabble.com/file/p20930602/20081210_isapi_redirect.zip
20081210_isapi_redirect.zip