But how does this work through code?  My initial request is to
"http://localhost/mywebservice/file.do"; (and all this is through Java code
similar to below).

Tomcat redirects the request to the login page specified in web.xml
"http://localhost/mywebservice/login.html";.  Then either Tomcat returns this
page to the user, or invokes a servlet that constructs the page and returns is
to the user.

Then it seems Tomcat remembers the original request.

Now the user sees a login page with the j_username and j_password form fields.
In code, they get the output stream and it instructs them to login, though my
page does not have the form fields in it.

So in code the client constructs a login request.  The request input stream is
set to "j_username=username&j_password=password".  But to what URL should the
above response be posted?  I would imagine that it should be to
"http://localhost/mywebservice/j_security_check"; because the login page is
typically like this

<form action="j_security_check" ...>...</form>.

A browser does not know about Tomcat protocols, so it would I imagine  send the
request to j_security_check.  Then I imagine that Tomcat intercepts the request
and validates the login, and then forwards to the original page (which must
have remembered).

So it makes sense to me that through code one may make requests to
j_security_check.  Just this would not not a recommended practice to users
typing something into the address bar.

So any ideas on how to make https requests through code?