> It should be a POST request to /[webapp]/j_security_check,
> and include the JSESSIONID cookie set by the server when the
> login page was returned.

Thanks, this seems to be the issue.  There is a call to
org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.setRequestedSessionId(String id) from
parseSessionCookiesId?

How does the client get the JSESSIONID?  When the server generates the login
page does it have to call response.addCookie?  From where should the servlet
get the session id?  How does the client read the cookie?

Thanks.