André,

it lookes as if Tomcat indeed tries to write to a file
tomcat-users.xml.new as indicated in this thread:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200508.mbox/%3c4381.80.136.127.17.1122968130.squir...@mailserver.kippdata.de%3e

That's really new to me, and I don't see any sense, but let's take it
as a fact now.

- Are you running Tomcat native or are you using startup.sh?

- Is it possible that you post your startup-script here?

- Do those staements work?
su tomcat
echo "fubar" > /srv/www/tomcat5/base/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new

If writing to a file is not possible, it's usually a rights-problem.
If this happens without having changed anything, you might want to
check the healthyness of your harddisk...

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2