On 28.12.2008 14:01, André Warnier wrote:
Hi.

Does someone have an idea of what is going as per the logfile
catalina.out below ?
What is this IOException all about ?

This is a Tomcat 5.0.x under Suse Enterprise Linux 10.1, which had been
working fine until now and suddenly logs this at startup.
This Tomcat runs under an IBM JVM 1.5.

Tomcat is started, as per the listening ports and the "ps" display I can
see, but apparently the access to Tomcat (through Apache and mod_jk)
does not work anymore (tells me : The server is temporarily unable to
service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems.
Please try again later. )

Additional info :
- the directory /srv/www/tomcat5/base/conf/ is writeable by the user
"tomcat" under which Tomcat is started.
- To my knowledge, the server.xml has not been changed since the
previous succesful restart 2 days ago, and neither has tomcat-users.xml

server.xml (excerpts) :
<!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->
type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
description="User database that can be updated and saved">
</Resource>
<ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
<parameter>
<name>factory</name>
<value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
<name>pathname</name>
<value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>
</parameter>
</ResourceParams>
(further under <Engine> and <Host> :)

debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>

catalina.out :

2008-12-28 13:21:58,543 [main] INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Starting service Catalina
2008-12-28 13:21:58,545 [main] INFO
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine - Starting Servlet Engine:
Apache Tomcat/5.0
2008-12-28 13:21:58,548 [main] WARN org.apache.naming.NamingContext -
Unexpected exception resolving reference
java.io.IOException: IOException writing to
/srv/www/tomcat5/base/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new
at
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.save(MemoryUserDatabase.java:495)

Starting with TC 5.5.12 you can add

<parameter>
<name>readonly</name>
<value>true</value>
</parameter>

to prevent this behaviour (e.g. during startup tomcat-users.xml gets written out in a normalized way with an additional suffix ".new", and then the new file gets renamed to the old one). The parameter is not available for any 5.0 version.

Regards,

Rainer