Michael Ludwig wrote:
[...]

But maybe your case is a different one.

Yes indeed, several different ones (almost one per customer).
In this particular case (Cisco VPN Client), the settings you describe are not accessible (or not modifiable). I believe it is a protection for the VPN you are connecting to. After all, I guess you do not want someone connecting through VPN to your internal network, and this way opening the network to all kinds of external nasties to which the client itself is open. The main issue is that each of these VPN systems installs its own modules client-side, which all one way or another install themselves either as services or as intermediate modules or drivers somewhere in the TCP/IP protocol stack. And these modules, from different sources, are rarely made so that they cooperate nicely with one another. Each one tends to believe it is the only one on the machine, to install itself as "automatic start at boot" etc... Add to this the general obscurity of how Windows manages these "network connections" and you're in for a mystical experience.