Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Subject: And how about this mod_jk.log ?

I see mod_jk messages as listed below (from mod_jk to client, and from
mod_jk to Tomcat).

Any chance of getting network traces for both the httpd-Tomcat and httpd-client
connections?  Might shed some light on what's really going on.

Well..
The flow is as follows :
Request:
Windows/IE6 -> Apache2.2 -> mod_jk1.2.28 -> Tomcat5.5 -> database app.
Response:
Windows/IE6 <- Apache2.2 <- mod_jk1.2.28 <- Tomcat5.5 <- database app.

Apache, mod_jk and Tomcat run on a single Linux host.
I do have remote access to the host, but only through a Citrix firewall/console where my only accesses are a putty client (SSH) and a kind of Norton Commander file explorer.
I do not have remote access at all to the workstations.
Whatever I could ask the customer to do at their end would have to be relatively simple.

So what are my simplest options ?

My plan right now would be to run a simple "HTTP-getter" program on a workstation, to see if that one confirms what IE is saying. My first candidate is "ab", which belongs to the standard Apache MSI installer too, and which I could ask to customer to install, then disable (http), then run ab in a command window, re-directing the output to a file. I have tried that locally and it seems to work. Unfortunately, on my own network I have trouble reproducing the error that the customer is seeing, everything works fine here unfortunately. So I don't know how much error information ab provides when there is actually a problem. It is not really a debugging tool, more like a tool to measure server performance.

Any tip on something else, easy to install and run, which would be better suited to what I need ?

The browser is IE6, and often returns a "This page cannot be
displayed" ("friendly IE error message", which unfortunately
cannot be turned off by the users, settings locked).

It is possible to defeat the IE silliness by generating a relatively long error
page (I forget what the threshold is, but it's discussed on this mailing list
occasionally), although this may well be just a timeout so it wouldn't matter.

Yes, I thought of that, and 1025 bytes should be enough. But I thought of that too..: if there is never an error page sent by the server (which looks likely here, since it can't even send a normal response), then the IE error page is IE's internal one anyway. For once it is not hiding the useful server information, and being friendly in a way.