Hi.

Now I'm going to ask a question, sotto-voce, humbly, and don't get upset.
There happens to be this Tomcat 5.5.20 you see, running under Linux Debian Etch. It wasn't me who installed it, it was the sysadmin, and he's a really difficult guy to relate to, and he has the power switch. But suppose, just suppose, that I would quietly want to bring this Tomcat 5.5.20 up to the 5.5.25+ level, just so that I could try the Listener mentioned here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/monitoring.html

Do you think I could download a real 5.5 Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org, untargz it to some temporary directory, and replace just the few bits that would bring it up to level, without the sysadmin even noticing ?
And if so, any idea of which are the relevant bits for that Listener ?

Or is that kind of thing really likely to bring the whole building down ?

(I would of course backup any relevant bit before I do that, and this is a development system in a remote central European town, not the one controlling the airspace above Minnesota).

If it matters, the current Tomcat is running so :
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5.5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5
Server built:   Jan 20 2008 12:32:00
Server number:  5.5.20.0
OS Name:        Linux