> From: Bart Vandewoestyne [mailto:bart.vandewoest...@telenet.be]
> Subject: HelloWorld and NoClassDefFoundError

> I get
>   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

Indicative of a broken Tomcat installation, which is pretty typical with these
3rd-party repackaged versions.  I strongly suggest you throw away that junk and
install a real Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org; this mailing list is littered
with problem reports from attempted use of non-standard Tomcat installations.
If you insist on using the package from Debian, you'll need to consult whatever
Debian support mechanisms there are.

> I expected tomcat to have servlet-api.jar
> available in its classpath somehow

A real Tomcat installation does not have this problem.

> 1) Is it necessary to copy servlet-api.jar to the
> WEB-INF/lib directory of every web application that
> i have?

Not only is it not necessary, it is not allowed.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.