Bart Vandewoestyne wrote:
[...]

Actually, yes, I would like to use the Debian package.  I like
the ease of installing/upgrading/removing packages with apt-get.

Hi.
Just to reassure you : I have a series of Linux Debian systems with Tomcat 4.1, 5.0 and 5.5, all installed via apt-get, and I don't think the installation is broken per se. They all work fine. Just make sure the JVM is a Sun one, not the gcj, and that it is installed and made the default "alternative" *before* you install the Tomcat packages.

At another level however Chuck is right, in that it is very difficult for Tomcat experts to help when there is a problem with the packages distributed with the various Linux distributions, because each one has it's own file layout, with links all over the place to all over the place, so compared to a standard Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org it is difficult to figure out where the files should be.