My point below was that, to start Tomcat, you usually run a startup script, as root. If you want to do that via a html page, then your html page must have something behind it - on the server - that runs as root to start Tomcat. That's not a good idea.

But basically this is besides the point. As the other posters wrote, what you need in your case is not to start and stop the whole Tomcat, just to be able to start and stop /one application/ inside Tomcat. Or simply tell it whent it should be active (loading data in the database) or not.

André Warnier wrote:
paybackorfail wrote:
That's a good point, what if it was just an html page?

Asking a question here is not really a substitute for thinking.

How are you starting Tomcat now ?

Mark Thomas-18 wrote:
paybackorfail wrote:
Hi, I have written a web application in netbeans using java and jsp, and
i am
hosting it on a server using tomcat, i need help on finding a way to
start
and stop the server by the user clicking a button on a jsp page, do i
have
to use the org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask of the tomcat api? can
anyone
help?
If Tomcat is stopped, how is it going to handle a user clicking on a
button on a JSP page to start it?

Mark