Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Sam Hokin [mailto:s...@ims.net]
Subject: very slow class loading on initial JSP/servlet
request after restart

The server that's being a problem is a Dell PowerEdge
1950, quad dual core.

Since I could never believe anything bad could be caused by chocolate
(especially dark chocolate), let's go for something else.

1) What are the servers that don't have a problem?

2) How much RAM is on each server?

3) Is the JDK 32- or 64-bit on each server?

4) What's the Java heap size for Tomcat on each server?

5) Are you using the same file system on all three servers?  What is it (ext3,
reiser, ???)?

Dropping the dark chocolate then from my suspicions, and notwithstanding the above fact-finding questions, I still think the reindeers are suspect, such as 4 of them pulling in opposite directions.

It kind of reminds me of my xml-parsing webapp of a while ago, which took (and still takes) an inordinate amount of time to load initially (10 minutes or so), but then has a perfectly acceptable reponse time after that. That is on a single slow cpu and with less RAM than Chuck has in his portable phone, but it may still be a good analogy since these elements merely exacerbate the problem. What is that webapp (or these classes) really doing when initially loading, that they are no longer doing afterward ? On my system also, the log message indicating that the application is "loaded" comes only after these initial 10 minutes during which the whole Tomcat is close to inoperative.

Since we have 4 processors here (do we, really? I am not so familiar with the multi-core architecture), can each of these processors be running a thread of these apps/classes, where on a single processor there would be only one thread running ? And would it be possible that each of these cpus/threads is doing something that severely competes with the others trying to do the same thing at the same time ? (such as using a lot of memory, and resulting in massively swapping in/out). There may be 4 cpus, but there is still only one each of the other resources, like RAM.
Would running Jconsole while the app is loading help ?