On Feb 20, 2009, at 10:25 AM, André Warnier wrote:

Christopher Schultz wrote:
Sam,
On 2/19/2009 6:23 PM, Sam Hokin wrote:
The problem, which spontaneously appeared a few days before Christmas on this one server, is that the initial request of a JSP or servlet takes
AGES to respond, usually exceeding several minutes.
Good... then you'll have plenty of time to /take a thread dump/ while
it's spinning its wheels.
I'll cast my hat into the ring: I suspect you're loading a resource that
wants to looking an external resource (like an XML file with a remote
DTD/Schema and validation is on in the parser) and the DNS is tripping
you up.
I would like to point out at this moment that my initial analysis (the one with the reindeers) does not look so bad after all.

More seriously, and for my own and possibly the OP's edification : we thus have 8 cores/cpus available, and one webapp being loaded at Tomcat startup, which takes ages, but independently of class compilation, Java and Tomcat versions etc.. Say we have told Tomcat to start 100 threads. Does that mean that possibly 8 threads (or more) are all (rather busily) waiting for something in relation to some initialisation in the (rather suspect) classes belonging to that webapp ? The OP also mentions "the initial request takes ages". So this initialisation would not happen really at Tomcat startup, but at the first request. Any particular setup or circumstance that could be tried to change when this happens, just to see ?

No, it is definitely not the reindeers, but an octo-pussy :)

János