André Warnier wrote:
Sam Hokin wrote:
I'd like to correct an error I made in my earlier report of this problem. It turns out that the response delay in my simple test JSP IS during compilation! I ran stat on the files in question, as well as looked at the time shown on the response page (which is all the test JSP does). (I think I got confused by the output of the -verbose:class JVM option earlier.)

Restarting from the point above..
Leaving the current test jsp page in place, but taking a copy of it under another name, does the symptom then also show up on the copy ?

Yes, always. That's how I reproduce it without having to restart the server. I just copy from test1.jsp to test2.jsp, and then test2.jsp takes a long time to compile. It's a very robust problem, with no specific source or compiled files involved. It just requires a JSP that hasn't yet been compiled.

The same with the whole webapp, copied under another name.

Any web app. There are four running now, I used to have about 8 running on this server, and I've put new web apps on (like yesterday), always reproducing the problem. But all of these web apps import my Java package at the top of the JSPs.

Separate question : does this Tomcat, contrary to the others, have the SecurityManager on ? or vice-versa ?

No it doesn't. SecurityManager is not on any of the servers. I have not changed catalina.policy, and I do not invoke Tomcat with the -security option.