Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Marcel Stör [mailto:mar...@frightanic.com]
>> Subject: Re: Request not forwarded to login page with
>> security-constraint after session time-out
>>
>> No, I only mentioned this because Tomcat throws an SQL exception
>> because it tries to query a table called "" if I don't specify a role
>> table in the realm config in context.xml
>
> That's because of the strong implication in the servlet spec that roles are
> required; any behavior you observe in a particular Tomcat level when no roles
> exist is very likely an accident and not guaranteed from one version to the
> next.

The spec is clearer than that. The "*" role == all roles defined in web.xml.

Unfortunately, Tomcat used to treat "*" as any authenticated user - not
quite what the spec requires. That was fixed - check the change log for
the version.

The undocumented realm attribute allRolesMode (see RealmBase) can be
used to control this behaviour.

Mark