Alexey Vlasov wrote:
> After daemon starting parenting process creayes too many threads. I
> would like to know if they are useful and if not how to lessen their
> number.

Could you tell how these threads harm you / hurt your system performance?
Threads are very lightweight objects, sharing a lot of things with
each other.

>         <Connector address="123.123.123.123" port="50002" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
>                    connectionTimeout="20000" maxThreads="10"
> minSpareThreads="2" maxSpareThreads="5" />

... or are you just wondering why the amount does not match the maxThreads
figure here?

The maxThreads is documented as follows:

The maximum number of request processing threads to be created
by this Connector, which therefore determines the maximum number
of simultaneous requests that can be handled. If not specified,
this attribute is set to 200.

So, it's just the threads allocated for the connector (which by the way
is also the limit of simultaneous requests your server can process at
any given time).

Tomcat (and the underlying Java Virtual Machine as well) organises its
own work by using threads; there are distinct threads for various
purposes.

I just took a thread count form a Tomcat on my home machine, and it's
limited to have 25 connector threads, and has a total of 40 threads,
so there are 15 threads on top of the connector threads, which seems
to be rather close to the situation you described (if I counted correctly,
you had 17 extraneous threads). There are various threads for JVM internal
operations (garbage collection etc), and others for Tomcat internal
operations.

I hope this helped to at least explain the situation.
--
..Juha