I'm not seeing that problem on my system, but I'm running newer
versions (httpd 2.2.9 and Tomcat 6.0.18). I do recall seeing some
strange 304 responses with 2.0 & 5.5, but it was a while ago and I
don't remember if the problem was extra bytes in the response.

What version of mod_jk are you using? I'm using 1.2.26. If mod_jk is
old you could try updating it. (I know it's a pain to update the whole
web server just to test, but upgrading just mod_jk is easier.)

What are the extra 20 bytes? Are they an actual message body or garbage?
--
Len