I'm using this article:
http://blogs.sun.com/fkieviet/entry/how_to_fix_the_dreaded to try and isolate
an apparent memory leak in our web application. It has been functioning fine
until a new release which we deployed over this last weekend. Now suddenly
we're hitting PermGen OOM's within the first day.

According to the article above, I should be able to deploy my application, then
undeploy it, and be able to then use the combination of jmap and jhat to
identify classes that are hanging around in the VM when they should have been
unloaded. I'm not having much success with this.

My first question is, how do I 'unload' a web application from a running Tomcat
instance. I have used the manager app to stop and undeploy the app, but in both
cases when I run jmap/jhat the resulting output shows the memory to still be
littered with the application classes. Is there another way to 'unload' an app
such that it will force TC to also unload all of its associated classes?

So that's possibly the second question, assuming I use the correct manager
option, how will I know when it's classes have been unloaded as well?

Thanks,
Darryl