On Monday 16 March 2009 22:42:27 Christopher Schultz wrote:
> > I spent some time looking to see whether these were configurable, but I
> > found nothing, apart from a rather snotty message on the vmware bulletin
> > boards stating that they didn't think that you should run a server on
> > the same platform as a vmware setup
>
> Wait, what?
>
> They said "don't run Tomcat on a VMWare instance?" or "don't run Tomcat
> on the VMWare manager instance?".
>
> Can you clarify this a bit?

There is no special management instance. VMWare Server is an application that
runs on a regular host operating system instance (it installs linux kernel
modules though, and probably also Windows drivers). "They" (meaning this user
on the VMWare community, who might or might not be associated with VMWare)
say  not to run server software on that host operating system. I take that as
a recommendation to dedicate a machine to one purpose only  (VM hosting in
that case), which is  common practice in many production environments, but no
strict requirement.

> > it stops working unless you can edit the 'other end' as it were and that
> > doesn't appear possible. I hunted through all the available
> > configuration files but the values must be hard-coded.

What do you mean with "the other end"? I use VMWare Server 2 on Ubuntu
(original tar.gz install from vmware.com), also found that it blocks the said
ports, and simply changed the server.xml of the VMWare Tomcat. I don't find
any problems with my VMWare installation, it works fine this way, including
the start and stop scripts. Maybe the RPMs are different. To the OP: how did
you install VMWare?

> That's obnoxious. :(

I think they should have configured other ports themselves, or at least put
the  configuration file for their tomcat in a more accessible place (on my
system, it is in /usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/),
but  it's more an inconvenience than a real problem, and might not affect that
many VMWare users.

> A good question to the VMWare team would be "hey, why did you use
> heavy-ass Java for web interface when you're using virtualized hardware?
> ever heard of lighttpd/php or whatever everybody embeds in their
> routers?". Sheesh...

Their web interface runs on the regular, non-virtualized host OS and provides
a not too simple web application to configure, manage  and monitor the VMWare
server and the virtual machines. I wouldn't think that Java and Tomcat would
be considered unsuitable for such a task on this list :-)

> -chris

Rainer