On Tuesday 17 March 2009 14:46:35 Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Rainer,
>
> > There is no special management instance. VMWare Server is an application
> > that runs on a regular host operating system instance (it installs linux
> > kernel modules though, and probably also Windows drivers).
>
> Interesting. This used to be called "VMWare Workstation".

Different product. Workstation costs money, has support for 3D acceleration in
guests, and host-guest integration stuff like shared folders. A reduced free
variation is VMWare Player.

VMWare Server is free of charge, optimized on running several VMs and being
accessed from remote (Server Console in V1, web console plugin in V2). It is
actually the successor of VMWare GSX Server.

> > What do you mean with "the other end"? I use VMWare Server 2 on Ubuntu
> > (original tar.gz install from vmware.com), also found that it blocks the
> > said ports, and simply changed the server.xml of the VMWare Tomcat.
>
> He still wants the web manager to work, and the /client/ expects to
> connect on a certain port. If you change VMWare's server-side ports, the
> client can no longer connect.

What client or web manager do you talk about? VMWare Server 2.0 has a browser
interface, and the browser does not care about the Tomcat shutdown port or
the (AFAIK totally unused) AJP connector port. As I wrote (and you did not
quote) this browser interface works just fine on my system.

Rainer