wireshark.org

André Warnier wrote:
Hi.

I know this is only tenuously Tomcat-related, and apologise in advance.
I'll be content with one-liners.

I have to trace the byte data that circulates back and forth between a Tomcat servlet (the tenuous connection) and a separate Java daemon to which the servlet establishes this connection. Both are running on the same Linux host. My purpose is legitimate, but I do not have the source code of either of these modules. I would like to be able just to figure out in as readable a way as possible, what charset/encoding is being used in one direction and in the other (not necessarily the same). I am not interested in the TCP protocol details, just the data inside the packets. A tool that shows what is being exchanged in the least cryptic way possible would have my preference, and one that allows me to choose the charset in which I display ditto would be even better.

Which one would you here gurus recommend ?

Thanks