> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.develo...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Access log behavior
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what happens when an
> active (ie. today's) access log file is deleted?

There's not really any such thing as "delete" in Linux.  When you do an rm, all
that happens is an unlink() of whatever path points to the inode of interest.
If the inode is still busy (e.g., an open() has been done on *any* path to the
inode and a close() has not been done on the returned handle), the inode will
continue to exist and support I/O requests.

> Will Tomcat handle this gracefully or go bonkers?

Tomcat won't know it happened.  Whether or not the logger you're using does
depends on if the logger keeps the file opened (most do), or closes and reopens
it periodically.

> when that happens i restart Tomcat just to be safe but I'd
> rather not have to do this.

Although the paths to the files are no longer accessible, the disk space
they're consuming won't go away until you do the restart.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.