Here are some quick numbers (provided by YSlow) from the home page of this
webapp:

Without gzip compression on image/png,image/jpeg,image/gif:
133.1K  12 Images

With gzip compression:
1.7K  12 Images

..,Actually now that I'm looking in detail at the numbers reported for each
individual image by YSLow, I'm starting to think that it doesn't calculate the
size of gzipped images correctly. Here were the largest size images on this
page pre-compression (I've removed the filenames):

jpg             43.8K
jpg             39.4K
jpg             31.1K
gif             7.4K
png             4.5K
gif             2.5K
gif             2.4K

With compression turned on:

jpg     gzip  0K
gif     gzip    0K
gif     gzip    0K
gif     gzip    0K
jpg     gzip    0K
jpg     gzip    0K
png     gzip    0K

Seems like my earlier findings were incorrect based on this - surely gzip is
not capable of compressing images to zero byte files :) I should have looked
further into the "total size" number reported by Yslow instead of taking it for
granted as being correct.

Thanks again for pointing this out, I'll likely go ahead and disable these
types from wastefully being recompressed on the server.

-Matt