Christopher Schultz wrote:

Seems like my earlier findings were incorrect based on this - surely
gzip is not capable of compressing images to zero byte files :)

It's using the new ∞-compressor. It's a new breed of "super-lossy"
algorithms. It's practical applications are as yet unknown.

I heard of that one too.  I think it is just looking at the pictures and
throwing away the irrelevant or ugly ones.  Most of the ones in webpages
turn out to be, hence the compression factor.
Conme to think of it, we could try and turn it loose on the messages of
this list, see how it does with text.