Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Michael [mailto:sg...@gmx.net]
Subject: Re: HTTP Connector GZIP compression

1. lorem.jsp: 72 726  bytes
2. prototype.js: 134.057  bytes

According to the above setting only the JS file should be compressed.

No; response from the .jsp will also be compressed if the return type is html -
which it almost always is for JSPs.

Well, I was not refering to the mime type but to the file size. I set the threshold to 80 000 bytes. No compression should happen below 80 000 bytes. Did I missunderstand something here?

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Regarding number 1: this is compressed although I set threshold to 80000 bytes

Note the Transfer-Encoding of chunked along with this sentence from the doc:

"If the content-length is not known and compression is set to 'on' or more
aggressive, the output will also be compressed."

Ok, understood. What is the rationale for? Is there a good reason to compress anyway?

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Regarding number 2: the Javascript ist not compressed!

That does seem to be a problem; check your server.xml again now that you've
removed the undefined attribute.

Checked, the server.xml remains the same. I did not alter it except the invalid attribute. The same happens for CSS too.

No I turn compression off:

#  Result  Protocol  Host            URL                   Body
0   200  HTTP      localhost:8080  /java-demo/lorem.jsp  19665

Caching  Content-Type             Process
         text/html;charset=UTF-8  firefox:500

lorem.jsp still compressed: WTF

Why do you think the output of lorem.jsp is compressed this time?

The simple reason is that I have disabled compression completely and the uncompressed size is 72 726 bytes. But 19 665 bytes have been sent over the wire which means I has beeen compressed anyway.

Thanks again,

Mike