Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
[...]

When you catch threads doing socket I/O, they are almost always waiting for
input from the client.  If you're using keep-alives (highly likely), that's the
normal state of a thread.  This likely means you don't have enough requests
coming in to keep the threads you already have busy; adding more threads won't
change that.

If I may add something :
During the recent ApacheCON, one of the gurus there made a comment related to KeepAlive, which as far as I recall was to the following effect : the default KeepAlive settings of webservers (many requests, long duration) are basically a relic of the past, when the setup and teardown of a TCP connection tended to be significant in terms of resources, compared to the time actually spent responding to the request. With modern servers, it is worth having a good look at the settings, and in most cases reduce them rather drastically. That is because a KeepAlive connection will keep a server child (or thread) tied to that particular client connection, until the KeepAlive expires, probably doing nothing most of the time. It would be better in most cases to have the client re-build a connection more often, and allow those server children/threads to take care of other requests in the meantime.