On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Jonathan Mast
<jhmast.develo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've pretty much concluded that the problem is that the machine in question
> is SELinux-enabled and that is cause of Tomcat's inability to access the
> 8080 port (even though I can see tomcat on the process list, a "netstat -a"
> indicates shows no entry for 8080).

sounds fixable...

> 1) Why not run Tomcat as root?  We have Tomcat running as root on our
> current setup (Httpd 1.3.33, Tomcat 5.5, JDK 1.4), I presume Tomcat 6 (JDK
> 1.6) running by itself must be more secure than our current situation.  Any
> comments?

Exposures are usually in apps; running any application with the
lowest possible privilege level reduces risk. But there's no law
against living dangerously -- we've probably all done it :-)

> 2) My problem with jsvc is multiple:

> c) really, if all this stuff is the "correct" way to run Tomcat on linux,
> why doesn't come as part of the distribution?

uhhh... it does. And I've never had to do more than ./configure and
make on any platform to get it going.

But as already pointed out -- run Tomcat on any non-privileged port
and connect it to port 80 with iptables.

> 4) I really want to avoid the complexity of httpd (see 2.a)

An easy goal to reach, luckily. :-)

FWIW,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com