Richard Coutinho wrote:
Shaun

Who would I contact to verify the startup.bat file?

Richard,
following your desperate call, we had a meeting here at work with all our Tomcat and Java experts to study the problem. After two hours we were not really making any headway, but the blonde cleaning lady overheard us and suggested :

"Could he not for instance, like download Tomcat 4.1 again, from the Tomcat site (the zip version, not the Windows installer), unzip it somewhere and compare the startup.bat with his ?"

I think you may want to try that, who knows ?