On Apr 21, 2009, at 7:02 PM, André Warnier wrote:

André Warnier wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
André Warnier wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Anthony J. Biacco wrote:
I did end up trying it and it did work, I just didn't know if it was
something that's frowned upon, or would for whatever reason was
planned to be phased out/deprecated.
Nope. That is absolutely fine. I know of a number of large corporations that use that feature extensively. We get it essentially for free with
the xml parser so it is going to stay.

My ears just kind of popped up on this thread.
Would not the same kind of subterfuge be applicable for the case where you send an updated app as a war-file to a customer (thus including its web.xml), but this customer has his own different parameters to set in
the web.xml ?

Hmm. Never tried it. I'd try it and let us know how you get on.

Hmm back. Unfortunately, I'm not really a productive Java/Tomcat programmer, and I don't do this kind of thing often (I mean prepare applications as wars, deploy them etc..). What I mean is that if someone else would a quick easy way to test this and be willing to do it, I am sure it would be much faster, and lots of people would probably be interested in the answer.
I've seen this subject come up here a few times.
I'll add that if it works, I think it's worth a Wiki article, and that, I am willing (and competent) to write. To each his own..

It is simply XML (the example in this thread uses entities). You could also use XInclude, which let's you define a fallback. And with either entities or XInclude you can use XML Catalogs for a great deal of flexibility.

If you have no preference, tend to prefer XInclude over entities.

best,
-Rob