Please do not keep using "reply to all".  It is annoying and
unnecessary.  I will obviously receive a copy of the mail if you just
send a reply to the list.

> Did you write your application?
>>> there are team of 200 Engineers wrote that application so i dont know
> where the problem is

> Are you using Quartz in your application?
>>> yeah we have quartz scheduler in our application. But when we run in
> Tomcat 5 we dont have this kind of problem

Is the application completely unchanged for deployment on Tomcat 6?

When you shutdown, Quartz will log a message describing the number of
running threads, this may help diagnose the problem.  The count may be
above 20, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

> Are you starting new Threads in your app?
>>> Might be, i have to ask each team.

Check that they are being properly terminated.  Even if the devs promise
they are, double check.

> When you have started and stopped the application a few times are there
> still multiple java processes running?

>>> YES, this is the only thing assigned to me to correct it.

You should ensure that the old processes are terminated before starting
new ones, as an old one may hang onto one of the ports that Tomcat uses,
thus preventing new instances from starting up.

The Linux "kill" command can do this.

However...

After shutdown has been requested and while the process is still
running, take a thread dump, or use the java tools to examine the state
of the JVM.  See if you can spot which Threads are still running.

Try jmap, jstack and jconsole (if you're on a local machine).