I'm sorry, I can't shut up my mouth on this, but you are telling myths :-)

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Robin Wilson <rwil...@kingsisle.com> wrote:
> I can't answer for others - but one of the big values in a 'production'
> environment is to separate concerns. The apache servers can sit in a
> different DMZ area, and have >only static (and unprotected) content on them.
> The tomcat servers have another firewall between them and the apache servers
> - and they host the webapps, and have >access to protected content (which is
> controlled via servlets). In addition, the apache servers have no access to
> the databases, so an attacker would have to break >through both the apache
> and the tomcat defenses in order to gain access to the database content.

Sorry, this is no security at all. If the attacker was able to break
your os once and come to your apache httpd server, he will be able to
break it second time and come to the tomcat serving server. Increasing
complexity doesn't necessary increase security, the truth is that more
complexity usually compromise security. Anyway an unfiltered
connection between your httpd and your tomcat server exist (ajp), and
the attacker can exploit it directly, since httpd will just send all
maped request 1 on 1.
Finally, httpd is written in C and therefore vulnerable to all kind of
attacks a java program is not like buffer/heap overflows,

> In addition to more granular security (as described above), having isolated
> the web layer from the application layer allows you to independently adjust
> the performance >of each. If you are finding that your system serves a lot
> more static content than it does 'application' functionality, you may need
> several web servers to handle the load. >Likewise, if your system is
> application focused, you may need more tomcat servers (probably clustered)
> than web servers.

The short answer to that would probably be, if you have performance
concerns, you just do not use apache httpd. If you want/need to
loadbalance, a hardware loadbalancer is the weapon of choice. If you
need to server a lot of large static content (pictures) you put
reverse proxies in front of your tomcats. If you need to serve static
content (js, css etc) along with dynamic content, you let tomcat
handle it, it serves static content faster than httpd anyway.

Imho, the only valid use for httpd in front of tomcat is when you are
a one-man one-server company and need to host a lot of virtual stuff
on your box including php and such. Everything else and you are better
of without httpd :-)

regards
Leon

P.S. to determine whether you need or do not need httpd in front of
your tomcat, stick with the KISS principle: ask yourself the question:
will it ease your pain and really really solve your problems without
adding new? In most cases the answer will be no :-)