I just thought of something with regards to multiple requests from a given
page - let's assume the browser doesn't generate multiple requests for
dynamic content by way of frames or images. Are AJAX requests treated any
differently from regular requests, whereby multiple AJAX requests from one
page would somehow always be routed to one node even in the absence of
sticky sessions? (Or could all those AJAX requests still end up modifying
different session instances on different nodes, even though all requests
were from the same page? Because that's a very likely scenario for most
"rich" web applications these days.)

I ask this out of curiosity, I suppose - after all, it seems like sticky
sessions are the way to go and that would preclude the above issue
completely.