Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: lightbulb432 [mailto:veerukrish...@hotmail.com]
Subject: RE: Cluster session sync question (from documentation)

Request 1 goes to node 1. Am I correct in saying that as long
as Request 2 reaches node 2 before the session from node 1 has
fully replicated over, the the inconsistent session problem exists?

That's my understanding - which is why the doc says to use sticky sessions.

the session that persists would be either the session from
node 1 or from node 2, but absolutely not both?

Correct.

using what criteria would anyone decide against
using them? What's the tradeoff here?

Potential performance imbalance is the only thing I can think of.  If one of
your clients creates a lot of requests, they'll all have to be processed on a
single node, leaving the others relatively idle.  I doubt that this is much of
a concern in the real world.

I can think of another : by using sticky sessions, you are forcing the load-balancer to keep track of which session belongs to which back-end, and to look up this table at each request. I could imagine that this could get tiresome..