Hello,
I am having an issue where I could use some clarity.
We are using apache 2.0.59 and tomcat 5.5. We are having some growing pains
with vendor specified modjk and tomcat settings.
1. Tomcat opens up a number of threads during some transactions but does not
close them. Is this because the connectionTimeout parameter is missing in the
AJP connector defination?
2. I do have the cache_timeout (deprecated , I know ) set to 900 secs. What
impact does that have on closing idle threads?
3. Today one of the Tomcat's froze and thru jkstatus I saw 409 connections open
to it. If my connection pool size is 256 (from modjk.log) why are more
connections being opened?

Thanks,
Chetan

My workers.properties file looks like this.
ps=/
worker.list=ajp13App31,ajp13App32,loadbalancer,mystatus
workers.tomcat_home=/coach/app/ptc/tomcat1
worker.ajp13App31.port=8012
worker.ajp13App31.host=localhost
worker.ajp13App31.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13App31.lbfactor=1
worker.ajp13App31.cache_timeout=900
worker.ajp13App31.socket_timeout=0
worker.ajp13App31.retries=3
worker.ajp13App31.recycle_timeout=900
worker.ajp13App32.port=8013
worker.ajp13App32.host=localhost
worker.ajp13App32.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13App32.lbfactor=1
worker.ajp13App32.cache_timeout=900
worker.ajp13App32.socket_timeout=0
worker.ajp13App32.retries=3
worker.ajp13App32.recycle_timeout=900
worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp13App31,ajp13App32
worker.loadbalancer.method=Request
worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=true
worker.inprocess.class_path=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)lib$(ps)tomcat.jar
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=start
worker.inprocess.stdout=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stdout
worker.inprocess.stderr=$(workers.tomcat_home)$(ps)logs$(ps)inprocess.stderr
worker.mystatus.type=status
worker.mystatus.mount=/admin/status/jk

And here is the AJP13 connector from one of the tomcat's server.xml :
<Connector URIEncoding="UTF-8" acceptCount="100" debug="1" port="8012"
protocol="AJP/1.3"
protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"
redirectPort="8445" tomcatAuthentication="false" useBodyEncodingForURI="true">

Apache MPM
# worker MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule worker.c>
ThreadLimit        512
StartServers       100
MaxClients         512