I guess I need to ask my question again. Im primarily an HP-UX
administrator and recently inherited this web based application ...

We are having some issues in accomodating additional user load/functionality.
While a part of the team is looking at optimizing code, I am responsible for
infrastructure componants.

One particular focus area for me is the mod_jk and tomcat configurations.
1. Last of April saw one of the tomcat's stop processing requests. Looking at
the mod_jk.log I saw the following errors
Unable to get the free endpoint for worker XXX  from 37 slots ....
I have setup the status servlet for mod_jk in which I saw that max slots were
opened. Thinking that mod_jk needs more number of connections, I basically set
it to ThreadsPerChild from worker MPM

2. Now we are randomly seeing that even a simple activity as user login causes
a spike in used tomcat connector threads. Eventually all tomcat threads are
used and no new requests can be serviced.

So, long story short, is my apache, mod_jk and tomcat configuration in sync?
Maxclients = 512
ThreadsPerChild = 256
So that means 2 server processes with 256 threads each.

I have 2 worker threads in my worker.properties file with
connection_pool_size=256.
Does this mean that total number of connections into tomcat = 256 * 2(number of
workers) * 2(number of server procs) = 1024 ??

Do I need to change the connection_pool_size to 120 . Which means 120*2 *2 =
480 and that leaves the remainder of apache threads for static content?

3. I have worker.XXX.cache_timeout=900 and no connectionTimeout in server.xml .
Is this why connections remain open?

Thanks,
Chetan