>> From: Todd Hivnor [spambox_98...@yahoo.com]

>> I would like to proactively avoid running out of heap
>> space. I would like people get a "Server Too Busy"
>> message, _before_ the heap is actually exhausted.
>
>> I would rather serve 40 users well than 45 users
>> poorly.

> Rather than monitor memory, which is subject to GC
> whims as George points out, I'd suggest monitoring
> the number of sessions in your  application - find a
> number of sessions you can live with, keep a (suitably
> synchronized) counter that's incremented and decremented
> as  sessions are created and destroyed, and don't start
> new sessions if that counter is higher than your threshold.

> - Peter

Peter / George, thanks for the input.

I'm not sure I can use session counting, as my
session size is not consistent. I could try to estimate
the size of each session, and keep a global counter,
but that seems like a lot of work.

I understand that garbage collection is, err, whimsical,
but I think I'm going to give it a go anyway.
I will keep in mind that the memory results
from Runtime will probably under-report the
available memory. I'm going to add an explicit
request for garbage collection, _before_ the memory
becomes seriously depleted.

Thanks for the suggestions!