> From: Todd Hivnor [mailto:spambox_98...@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Preventing OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>
> In my tests, as the RAM becomes depleted, the server
> response becomes slower and slower.

That's because you're going through garbage collections at an ever increasing
frequency, with little benefit.

> Yes of course I can throw more RAM at the problem.
> But I would still like to have a graceful response to the
> "overloaded" scenario. More RAM is just delaying the
> problem.

You need to size the system for the expected load, and refuse requests when you
approach some arbitrary threshold.  You also need to check very carefully for
memory leaks in your webapps, since your symptoms are typical of that kind of
problem.  If you aren't doing so already, run in a 64-bit environment, allowing
a much larger heap; your current setting of -Xmx256m is tiny in today's world.
Just make sure you have enough RAM to support the heap, otherwise paging will
kill your performance.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.