> From: Dave Filchak [mailto:sub...@zuka.net]
> Subject: Re: Basic Java questions
>
> OK, my path now reads:
>
> /opt/java/bin/:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/us
> r/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/opt/java/jdk1
> .6.0_13/bin:/root/bin

You shouldn't have a trailing slash on /opt/java/bin, although it probably
doesn't hurt too much.

> Then, when I run netstat -o, it shows nothing of the ports I
> had set up previously (changed tomcat port to 8081 and the
> connector port to 8010).

Indicative that your Tomcat is not running.

> I still show a huge amount of connections on 8009, which is
> not even in the tomcat configuration anymore.

Indicative that some *other* Tomcat is running.  What's the pid number for the
connections?  Where is that process being executed from?  Kill it and delete
the installation.

> start failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use<null>:8081

Another Tomcat (or some other process) is using that port.  Find it and get rid
of it.

> So, I think I want to remove all instances on java and
> tomcat and re-install.

You don't need to remove all instances of Java; just the ones you don't want to
use.

> Any suggestions about how to remove all of this stuff cleanly?

Consult the package manager for your system.  If there isn't one, you're into a
lot of find'ing and grep'ing.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.