> From: trill...@gmail.com [mailto:trill...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
> w...@serensoft.com
> Subject: trouble starting tomcat: "error 0" on Windows 64bit
>
> Our processor is intel, tho... Is there an intel-not-amd
> version we missed?

AMD invented the x86-64 instruction set, and Intel copied it from them.
However, there is an older Intel 64-bit architecture called IA64 (aka Itanium);
you'll need to determine which 64-bit CPU(s) you actually have.

> This is on Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 (SP2) -- Yes, this is
> a 64-bit machine

This is probably the AMD64 architecture, but you need to verify that it's not
IA64.

> Tried tomcat from both apache-tomcat-5.5.27.exe installer and from
> straight ZIP

Stay with the .zip; it's easier to start with.  Uninstall the .exe version.

> Java has no spaces in its path: C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_18 (from
> jdk-1_5_0_18-windows-amd64.exe installer)

You should have C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_18\bin in your PATH (not required, but it does
make things easier).

Does "java -version" (without the quotes) produce the expected results?  Report
back whatever it does show.

BTW, I'd recommend a 1.6 JDK over 1.5; numerous performance improvements have
been made.

> Executing "tomcat5.exe" from the command line shows only a blank line,

Don't use that until you get it working from the scripts.

> Executing "startup.bat" shows
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Tomcat55
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Tomcat55
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Tomcat55\temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_18

That looks good; what do you see in C:\Tomcat55\logs?

> We've tried running it as a service (setting it up via 'service.bat')

Get it working from the scripts first.  If you have tcnative-1.dll in Tomcat's
bin directory, delete or rename it, since that will be a 32-bit version.  If
you really need the better performance provided by APR, you can install the
64-bit .dll later.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.