2009/5/20 Caldarale, Charles R <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>:
>> From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.koli...@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Performance: switch vs if ... else if
>>
>> Server VM precompiles code before using it, while Classic one compiles
>> heavily used parts of code on-the-fly.
>
> Your terminology is incorrect, as are your descriptions of when code is
> compiled. > The phrase "Classic VM" refers to pre-HotSpot VMs - 1.3 and prior
> levels.
> (...)

Thank you very much for correcting me.

I surely meant "Client VM" there, it was just a misprint.

Regarding "Server VM": I accept it as my mistake. I know, that Client
VM is optimized for faster startup (and, well, it is written in the
FAQ [1]), but I do not know why I thought that slower startup of
Server VM is due to "precompilations". Thank you for correcting me.

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/HotSpotFAQ.html#compiler_types

2009/5/20 David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>:

> That's part of the reason I ran the tests twice in a row, in the main()
> method (that, and cache warming).

Oh, I see. I missed that.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko