> From: Konstantin Kolinko [mailto:knst.koli...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Performance: switch vs if ... else if
>
> Regarding "Server VM": I accept it as my mistake. I know, that Client
> VM is optimized for faster startup (and, well, it is written in the
> FAQ [1]), but I do not know why I thought that slower startup of
> Server VM is due to "precompilations".

Both the Client and Server VMs use an interpreter to get things going, which is
why the -version option displays "mixed mode" in the signon line.  Both JITs
compile in the background while methods execute under the interpreter; the
client JIT just gets started sooner.  You can disable the JIT in either the
Client or the Server VM with the -Xint option - and things will run really
slowly, but you can single-step through the byte codes this way.

Sometime in the future, we'll see the client and server JITs in the same VM,
used as a two-stage compilation mechanism (referred to as "tiered
compilation").  This is at least partially implemented in 1.6; don't know if it
will be enabled in the final release of 1.7 or deferred until a later level
(one of the lead guys working on it died of an aneurism last year).

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.