> > [Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] My problem is that tomcat is running out of
> threads (maxthreadcount=200). My analysis of the issue is:
> > - threads count is exceeded because of a slow buildup of RUNNABLE
> threads (and not because number of simultaneous http requests at some
> point exceeded max thread count)
>
> I don't belibve this reason. I would say thread count is exceeded,
> because you allow a much higher concurrency on the web server layer.

[Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] Is there a tool you can recommend for me to monitor/log
the http requests so that I have figures to back up my analysis.

> > - most/all newly created TP-Processor threads are in RUNNABLE state and
> remain RUNNABLE - never go back to WAITING state (waiting for thread pool)
>
> So you are using persistent connections. There's no *problem* with that
> per se. If you ae uncomfortable with it configure the timeouts in the
> Tomcat connector *and* mod_jk.

[Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] Ok so RUNNABLE i.e. persistent threads should not be an
issue. The only reason why I thought that was an issue was that I was observing
that the none of the RUNNABLE connections were not being used to serve new
requests, only the WAITING ones were - and I do know for sure that the RUNNABLE
threads were not servicing any existing requests as I was the only one using
the system then.

> > - in such case, I find that tomcat spawns new threads when a new request
> comes in
>
> "request" -> "connection"
>
> > - this continues and finally tomcat runs out of threads
>
> That's to simple, usually the "new requests" should be handled by
> existing Apache processes that already have a connection to Tomcat and
> will not create a new one.

[Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] In my case the existing persistent connections are not
servicing any new requests.