I'm tempted to say that it should be removed if it's unstable. I don't
know that much about the guts of Tomcat but we've seen errors thrown by
some of those classes in the commits.

Thanks for your advice on the matter. I think we'll run with
xmlValidation="false" from now on.

- Julian

Bill Barker wrote:
> "Julian Dunn" <julian.d...@cbc.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it a good idea to run with xmlValidation="true" in server.xml?
>>

> In a development enviroment, it can be helpful (especially if you
change
> web.xml often).  I would generally discurage it in a production
environment
> since the app will take slightly longer to load.
>
>> I had this on for a while, but then it mysteriously stopped working
--
>> the container could no longer validate DTDs, refused to load
webapps,
>> etc.
>>

> And another good reason to not use it in production ;).
>
>> What does xmlValidation="true" actually do?
>>

> Xie is basically right, except that Tomcat *should* be using the
schemas
> that it ships with.  So not having an internet connection is not
supposed to
> be a problem.

It is worth noting that there are a bunch of issues with validation in
6.0.x and, I suspect, 5.5.x as well. See:

Given that it has been broken for all of 6.0.x, I was debating
removing
xml validation completely in Tomcat 7. I'd be interested in any views
people have on this.

Mark