Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> I would say you should:
>
> - set connectionTimeout on the AJP connector of JBOSS
> - ensure you are using a recent version of the IIS plugin (1.2.28)
> - read the timeouts documentation page of the plugin and set appropriate
> timeouts.
> - monitor the use of the ajp threads in order to find out, whether the
> problem occurs slowly step by step until at the end all threads are
> bound, or it occurs spontaneously
>
> The thread use monitoring would also give you an idea, what a good
> number of ajp pool threads in your situation would be.
>
> Do you have a firewall between IIS and JBOSS?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Rainer,
Thanks for your prompt response!
There is no firewall between IIS and JBoss.  I will experiment with the
connection timeouts, I am thinking I will start with a fairly large number
like 10 minutes.

One other thing I forgot to mention: When I observed the problem earlier
this week, I telnet'd to the AJP port and was able to connect successfully.
This was making me think it was not a problem that all the connections were
used up.  However, I didn't really do anything in the telnet session,
because (unlike HTTP) I don't know how to make a simple GET request through
telnet, so it's possible it wouldn't have responded.

One more question: With my HTTP port, I know I can always easily test it,
via my browser or scripted using wget.  Anybody know of a simple
command-line utility like wget, that works with AJP?  I think this would be
a good tool to have, to help diagnose AJP problems (and would allow me to
easily set up some automated stress tests).

Thanks.
Ken