After some digging thru config files setup by the vendor, I think I might have
found the root cause ..Correlating the access_log and tomcat logs, I found out
that tomcat threads were shooting up whenever a large number of GIF files were
being requested.

These are the modjk settings in our application config files that are included
in httpd.conf
JkMount /LCSW/* ajp13
JkMount /LCSW/*.jsp ajp13
JkMount /LCSW/*.jsp/* ajp13

So when an image is accessed via the following URL,
http://blahbhal/LCSW/images/header.gif , the above routes were sending it to
tomcat. I verified this by shutting down tomcat and accessing the above URL,
and was unsuccessful.

Now I plan to add the following excludes
JkUnMount /*.htm ajp13
JkUnMount /*.html ajp13
JkUnMount /*.png ajp13
JkUnMount /*.gif ajp13
JkUnMount /*.jpg ajp13

I tested the above in a test environment and was able to access a gif file with
tomcat down.

my question is, how does the ajp13 connector interpret a gif file/static
content request as opposed to a jsp request?

Chetan